skip to main content

501(c)(3) Filing

Apply for Tax Exempt Status

After you have finished setting up your business as a non-profit corporation, you need the approval from the IRS in order to accept tax deductible charitable contributions and also be exempt from federal income taxes. A 501(c)(3) application allows you to submit your business under this special status.


Why choose MyCorporation to help you file your Annual Report?

Tax Exempt Status For Your Business

We'll help you navigate the maze of rules and regulations of preparing the 501(c)(3) application.

We make filing a 501(c)(3) Easy

Each application is thoroughly reviewed prepared for grammar, logic and language consistency.

Why Choose MyCorporation?

For more than fifteen years, MyCorporation has helped small business clients and entrepreneurs start and maintain their businesses. We offer excellent customer service and accurate filings with the fastest turn around times.

We Can Help You File Your 501(c)(3) Application Today, Starting at $650

Get Started

Need additional assistance?

Contact our experts with any additional questions.

Would you rather speak to one of our representatives now?

Call us: 877.692.6772

M-F - 7:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. PT

By submitting this form, you are indicating that you would like one of our representatives to contact you about the details you provided. Your information is completely safe and will not be shared.

This form is protected by reCaptcha

Frequently asked questions

A 501(c) organization is one of 29 different kinds of nonprofit organizations that are tax-exempt. Under the law, these organizations are organized for the exclusive purpose of holding title to property, collecting income therefrom, and turning over the entire amount thereof, less expenses, to an organization which itself is exempt.

Organizations that may be classified as a 501(c) designation include any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes.

A 501(c) is any organization that falls within one of the 29 kinds of nonprofit organizations that have been exempted from federal income tax. Each kind of 501(c) nonprofit addresses a different need or use. Only two may solicit tax-free donations.

A 501(c)(3) is considered the most common type of 501(c) nonprofit organization. According to the IRS, 501(c)(3) entities typically have charitable, educational, or religious missions. These entities do not turn a profit. Instead, they create a nonpolitical public good which allows any donations made to be tax deductible.

Starting a 501(c)(3) differs a bit from filing to form an LLC. A 501(c)(3) requires following specific steps to seek designation.

Prior to filing, you need to understand what kind of activity will be conducted by your nonprofit. This activity may be categorized into one of the following categories:

  • Religious needs
  • Scientific study
  • Educational services
  • Public safety testing
  • Charitable contributions
  • Calling for the end of child or animal abuse
  • Creation and support of a national or international amateur sports competition

After you understand what it is your organization will do, you must formally create and incorporate as a corporation at the state level. Filing at the state level allows you to begin the filing process to obtain an employer identification number (EIN) and to be a 501(c)(3) organization.

Remember that your nonprofit organization must follow federal and state guidelines to retain its 501(c)(3) designation status. In the event your organization is unable to follow these guidelines, the tax-exempt status may be revoked from the organization.

If you experience any difficulty in accessing our content, please contact us at 877.692.6772 or email us at

Live Chat Assistance